G Licence: All You Need to Know


Are you looking to apply for your licence but wondering how, when, and where to do so? Find out all you need to know about your G licence in Ontario, Canada here. Once you have your G licence and are looking for a mechanic, trust Hansma for professional, courteous, and trustworthy service. Contact them today if you need your vehicle inspected or repaired.

G Licence: All You Need to Know

Where to Begin

First, you must apply for a driver’s licence (G1). To do so in Ontario you need to be at least 16 years old, pass an eye exam, and pass a written test about the rules of the road and traffic signs.


You can apply at any local DriveTest Centre or the ServiceOntario College Park location in downtown Toronto.  Find a DriveTest centre today. When you do go to apply you will need to bring original identification that shows your legal name, date of birth, and signature. 


Here is a list of accepted identification: 

Canadian Citizens

• Passport (Canadian or foreign)

• Canadian Citizenship Card with photo

• Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card (issued on or after December 15, 2009 by Indian and Northern Affairs Canada)

• Ontario Photo Card

Permanent Residents

• Permanent Resident (PR) Card

• Record of Landing (IMM 1000)

• Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292) accompanied by a valid passport from country of origin

• Ontario Photo Card

Temporary Residents

• Study Permit / Student Authorization/ Work Permit/ Employment Authorization/ Visitor record/ Temporary Resident Permit (IMM 1442)

• Refugee Status Claim (IMM 1434)

• Acknowledgement of Intent to Claim Refugee Status (IMM 7703) with photo

• Report Pursuant to the Immigration Act (IMM 1442) with photo

• Ontario Photo Card

See a full list of accepted documents

Once you pass these tests, you get a G1 licence. You are considered a beginner driver and need to practice driving and gain experience over time.


G1 - Next Steps

Now that you can legally drive with your G1, what are your next steps? First of all, you need to study for the knowledge test. Ontario’s Official Driver Handbook will help you prepare for your written knowledge test.  It covers rules of the road and practical driving tips. You can buy the handbook online through ServiceOntario, at a DriveTest Centre, or from various retail stores. The book costs $14.95 + tax. 

Preview the Driver’s Handbook

Buy a copy online

Visit ServiceOntario: Toronto (College Park) or a DriveTest centre


As mentioned, once you pass your eye and written tests, you get a G1 licence. Before you can get a full G licence, you have to finish two learning levels: G1 and G2 ,and pass two road tests. In Ontario this process is called "graduated licensing." It is created to give new drivers time to practice and gain experience with certain limitations. You have up to five years to finish the whole process. If you do not get your full G licence by the time five years is finished you will need to start over.


G1 Restrictions

By law, when you have a G1 licence, you must:

• Maintain a zero blood alcohol level (no alcohol in your blood)

• Make sure every passenger with you wears a properly working seatbelt

• Not drive between midnight and 5 a.m.

Not drive on 400-series highways or high-speed expressways (e.g., 401, Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), Gardiner Expressway)

• Drive with a fully licenced driver who has: at least four years of driving experience, a blood alcohol level of less than .05 (if this person is 21 and under, their blood alcohol level should be zero), and they must be the only other person in the front seat.  If you are driving with a driver instructor certified in Ontario, you can drive on any road.

In most cases, you practice with your G1 licence for 12 months.


G1 road test

The G1 road test is the first of two you need to take as a new driver.

• You can take your first road test after 12 months with a G1 licence

• This exam tests basic driving skills (e.g., turning left and right, stopping, parking)

• Once you pass, you get your G2 licence

If you finish a government-approved driver education course, you can take your first road test after just eight months.


Ontario driving schools

To take the G1 road test sooner, you need to choose a driving school that is certified to train new drivers. Click below to see the full lists of both approved and unapproved driving schools. 

Approved driving schools offering courses

Unlicenced driving schools to avoid


G2 Licence

After passing your G1 road test, you get a G2 licence. You practice with your G2 licence for 12 months. You can now drive:

Without another experienced driver in the car

• On all Ontario roads

• At any time of the day, in most cases

You must still:

• Have a zero blood alcohol level

• Carry only as many passengers as there are working seatbelts

If you are 19 and under these restrictions also apply: 

Between midnight and 5 a.m.: you can only drive with one passenger who is 19 or under in your car. This condition applies for the first six months of G2. After six months, you can drive with up to three passengers 19 or under between midnight and 5 a.m.

This condition does not apply, if:

• You have a fully licenced driver in the car (with four years plus experience driving)

• Your passengers are immediate family members (e.g., a parent, brother, or sister)


G2 road test

This is the second of two road tests you take as a new driver.

• You can take the test after 12 months with a G2 licence

• The test covers more advanced driving skills (e.g., driving on a highway, parallel parking)

• Once you pass, you get a full G licence

ontario-drivers-license- G1.jpg

To book a road test appointment, you will need to provide:

• Your valid Ontario driver's licence number

• A preferred location for taking the test

• A second and third choice of location

• A preferred date and time

You can book, cancel, or reschedule a road test appointment:

• Online

• By phone at 647-776-0331 or 1-888-570-6110

• At any DriveTest Centre

You need to cancel a test at least 48 hours ahead of your appointment to avoid a cancellation fee.

Book a road test online

Find a DriveTest Centre

Road Test Fact Sheet & Checklist


Driving in Ontario

To drive on Ontario roads, you need to:

• Carry a valid driver’s licence at all times

• Have a valid vehicle permit, licence plate, and insurance

• Obey traffic laws and drive safely


G Licence 


Ontario has 15 types of licences. Each licence certifies you to drive a specific type of vehicle. To drive a car, van, or small truck, you will need a G class licence.

All licences come with certain conditions. See Ontario’s full list of licences.

Whether you're looking to apply for your licence but wondering how, when, or where to do so, or you're already in the process of getting your G1 or G2, trust Hansma for professional, courteous, trustworthy service. Contact them today if you need your vehicle inspected or repaired.

"I have been using Hansma Automotive Service Inc. for over 5 years now and I find them to be professional in every respect. Their technicians quickly identify the issues and formulate a prioritized repair schedule. You can see that Peter has instilled his core values of honesty, Integrity and thoroughness in his team while also staying competitive. Keep up the good work"

- Garry

Read more testimonials here. 

Posted on April 9, 2018 .